Ok, so you’re ready to sell. You found an awesome Realtor, you know what price you want your home to sell for, you cleaned your house… now what!? It’s time to stage! I, personally, love love love home staging! I helped lots of my friends and family even before I was a Realtor with the staging of their home. Staging makes all the difference in the world Here’s my top tips!
1. Remove the clutter! Go for the minimalist approach! Less is absolutely more in this case. My general rule: for every one thing you keep, two must be removed!
2. Depersonalize: think of it as a hotel room! You are inviting your guest to stay. What needs to go: family portrait, awards, collections… It could keep the buyer from focusing on your home and it’s potential for THEM.
3. Add some color, but make it neutral please (yes that hot pink looks amazing on you… not so much on your walls) Painting rooms a neutral color will help tone down outdated finishes with the space. Another great tip is to paint adjacent rooms the same color… not only it will look more organized but will also make the space look bigger!
4. Cushions: My husband would beg to differ. He thinks they are useless… they’re not! Cushions makes your sofa/chair/bench look inviting. It’s an instant update and adds color, texture and interest to a room!
5. Rugs: Now that I said it, you need to chose the RIGHT rug for your room. A rug could as easily make a room look smaller if it’s not used correctly. But a large and beautiful rug easily add warmth and style to any room… again if use correctly.
6. Fruits and flowers. They’re colorful and can easily add some spice to any room! Try big glass bowls or wide vases of fruit in the kitchen to add color; fill full of just one type of fruit (lemons look wonderful) for instant contemporary style. Again, make sure your flower arrangements are carefully chosen to match the style of the room!
7. Group in three! I got this tip a couple of years ago from a interior designer friend of mine. Everything looks better when paired in odd numbers!
8. Brighten areas with white light! Add accent lights if you think the room is to dark.
9. New bedding: Especially for the master bedroom. Chose something fresh, white is always my go to color. There’s just something about a white bed that excites me! For the other bedrooms, adding new plain bedding with some tasteful cushions and throws can update them inexpensively.
10. Towels! Please, please, please use new towels to display in your bathrooms! Used towels never quite look the same as brand new ones; treat your home to some gorgeous new towels, and make sure that no one uses them – they’re just for show!
11. Atmosphere! This is one of the most important for me. You want to create an experience with your buyer, you want to make them come back! Put on some soft music, spray some gentle fragrance or even light some scented candles!
It’s important that the buyers sees how much you care for your home! A well kept home will sell faster and for more money! Oh and don’t think I forgot Curb Appeal… but that’s for another blog post!
What’s your favorite staging tip?